Custom Search
Blogity-blah-blah-blog: Freakin' Funny Friday ~ Christian Culture Edition: T-Shirts

Friday, May 22, 2009

Freakin' Funny Friday ~ Christian Culture Edition: T-Shirts


I thought I would try something different. For the next few weeks or however long it takes I'm going to call Fridays, Freakin' Funny Friday ~ Christian Culture Edition, or CCE for short. I will talk about something within the Christian culture and most likely poke fun at it. But it will be all in good fun, I'm not doing it to be malicious. I used to be a part of the it and in some ways I guess I still am. But I want to talk about the most ridiculous things that come about within the culture. In yesterday's post I hinted at Christian culture so that's why I decided to do this mini-series.

I read a book that was a real eye-opener to me. It's written by Matthew Paul Turner called "The Christian Culture Survival Guide: The Misadventures of an Outsider on the Inside".


You can find Matthew Paul Turner's website and blog here. The book was put out by Relevant Books and you can buy it here. Turner also has a book out now called "Churched".

There is also a blog called Stuff Christians Like that I mentioned in my first introductory post. This is a blog devoted to poking fun at Christian culture. It was created by Jon Acuff and he does a much better job at talking about Christian culture than what I'm about to do. I'm going to try to be original and not emulate what he does on his blog, but you can check his out here. Okay, that's enough links for one post!

In today's CCE I'd like to talk about Christian t-shirts, or rather -shirts. First of all I want everyone to know that I am not opposed to someone who wants to share their faith through the use of a t-shirt. I think it becomes a problem when a logo or a figure from pop-culture is taken and changed to reflect a Biblical message. Though Christians believe that we are "not of this world", every opportunity is taken to emulate the things of this world and twist them around for their own use and say "that's clever". What's so clever about stealing? I'm pretty sure there's something in the Bible about not stealing, but I could be wrong. It's probably in some obscure passage somewhere. Okay, so without any further ado, bring on the -shirts!



Okay this one makes no sense to me at all. I know the shirt is talking about idolatry, but doesn't "Amazing Grace" sound a lot like "Amazing Race"? All you need to do is add a "G" for crying out loud!



I have no idea what peanut butter cups have to do with Jesus. You've heard the slogan "There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's" So I guess what this shirt is saying is "There's no wrong way to follow Jesus". Just make up the rules as you go.



Yes, I'd like to order a Half caff, double holy, non fat, whole truth, Double cupp, no satan, to go.



Wow, that is a steep price to pay to get social networking in heaven. What needs to happen to get face book up there?



I drink Pepsi. Am I going to hell?



Um, so are we worshiping Jared Fogle now or what? I'm confused.



Wow, this shirt is offensive on so many levels.



So there you have it. Honestly how did it ever get to this point? It's sad really. I'll admit that at one time I owned a bright red shirt that had the Taco Bell chihuahua on it saying "¡Yo quiero Jesus!" But those days are over. There was one company that isn't around anymore that made some very creative t-shirts. They were called One Truth clothing. Even though they're not in business anymore, but you can find what's left of their website here. I bought a few of their shirts a couple years ago. I'm going to finish this post with some of the shirts I found while researching that I thought were funny and clever
. Have a great Memorial Day weekend. God bless.



This one is funny because it doesn't make any sense.



I wish I had this one when I was in youth group.




I like this one because it reminds me of a friend from college who would always ask a question and then answer it by pointing his thumbs at himself and saying "This Guy". So this shirt reminded me of him.




Personally I prefer cross-word puzzles, I mean -word puzzles.





Hide and seek with Jesus sounds like fun! Of course he would always be able to find me right away.



I don't have any tattoos, but just in case I get one or two someday...


I don't know what it is about this one, but it's funny.





I like this one, maybe it's because I have a beard.





This is a shirt put out by xxxchurch.com. Is it controversial? Perhaps. But is it the truth? Absolutely. Check out the xxxchurch website here.




No comments:

Post a Comment