Custom Search
Blogity-blah-blah-blog: I Hate Mondays! ~ No ifs, ands, or BUTTs

Monday, May 4, 2009

I Hate Mondays! ~ No ifs, ands, or BUTTs



Nobody that I know of looks forward to Monday. So I've decided to call my Monday posts "I Hate Mondays!" These posts will simply be me ranting and raving about my pet peeves and things that annoy me. It's a great way to start the week, but a strange way to start a blog. So here we go.

I don't smoke and I don't condone it. But I'm not about to condemn anyone who smokes. I have friends and loved ones who do and as much as I would like them to quit I'm not going to love them any less if they don't. Everyone has their addictions and bad habits. I have mine and you have yours.

But the one thing that really gets my blood boiling is when people decide they want to flick their cigarette butt out of a moving vehicle. It never really used to bother me before. But one night I was driving home and I started to pass a pick-up truck on the highway. Next thing you know a cigarette butt comes flying out of the driver-side window and it explodes on my windshield like a bright red fireworks display, which almost caused me to drive off the road into the median because I had no idea what was going on at first.

Fortunately, no one was hurt. But imagine that happening to someone on a motorcycle and the cigarette butt hitting their helmet visor. Or what if someone was driving a convertable and it landed in the car. If you're one of these people who flick cigarette butts out the window, please knock it off, we don't want to see your butt.

Maybe the next time you're driving along and someone does this to you, you could convince any passengers you might have in your car to moon the person as you pass them as a way of saying, "You showed me your butt, here's mine!" That would make a really funny scene in a comedy. Or you could have a scene in an action movie where the villain in the pick-up flicks his cigarette out the window and the camera zooms in on the cigarette and pans around it "Matrix" style until the vigilante-like hero catches it between his thumb and index finger. Then as the hero passes the pick-up he mutters something clever to the villain like, "I told you, no ifs ands or butts" as he flicks the cigarette butt back into the pick-up. The hero drives off as the pick-up drives off the road and bursts into a giant ball of fire! Mwaa Ha Ha Ha!...maybe I watch too many movies.

This post got me thinking about something and it isn't just about people who smoke. This is about me, you, anyone who has an addiction or a bad habit. Think about what freedom really means. In many ways our free will allows us to do whatever we want. We are free to smoke, eat, drink, sleep, work, play, rest, and be entertained. But how many of us have formed habits around these things or have even become slaves to one or more of these things. Is that really freedom?

I hope you've enjoyed this post, I look forward to putting up another one tomorrow. What's it going to be about, you ask? We'll you'll just have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Good post Dan. I kind of like the action scene/matrix scenario better myself.

    ReplyDelete