Custom Search
Blogity-blah-blah-blog: A Trip to the Big  : Day Two

Monday, November 23, 2009

A Trip to the Big  : Day Two

I would have had this post up last night, but New York City kicked my butt yesterday and I was ready for bed by the time we got back. If you didn't read yesterday's post, click here. One thing I've learned about New York City is that whatever you plan on doing, make sure you know every little detail about doing what you want to do, especially when it comes to things like making reservations, national security, and timing. Timing is everything. You'll see what I'm talking about a little later in this post.

We had to get up early yesterday because the Christmas show at Radio City Music Hall started at 9am. The show was so much better than I had expected it to be. I thought it was just going to be a bunch of Rocketts kicking their legs in the air since that's all you ever see on TV. But yea, there was more to it, including a part where we had to put on 3D glasses. Here are some pictures from RCMH:








After the show we walked to Rockefeller Center. The tree was up, but it was covered by scaffolding so I couldn't get a good picture of it, but here are a few pictures from Rockefeller Center:


The tree is behind that giant poster.




We continued walking to St. Patrick's Cathedral. We went inside during their Sunday Mass, it was very interesting. The architecture of this building is beautiful:




After stopping for a little lunch we walked back to the Port Authority to ask how we could get to the Statue of Liberty. They told us we should take the subway rather than going by bus. They said it would take about three hours in traffic to get to the ferry. My mom and my sister weren't to thrilled about having to ride the subway, they had never done it before, but it was the best way to get there. It took us awhile to find out which subway train to get on, we asked a bunch of people and walked through a few underground tunnels and we finally found the train we were supposed to board. We went from 42nd and Times Square to South Ferry. While standing in line for the ferry we realized that security was pretty tight because of 9/11 of course. I had forgotten that I carry one of these in my coat pocket:




Oh, wait, I guess you can't really tell what that is. Here, let me take it out and show it to you:





It's a multi-purpose tool, but to national security, it's something that I might use to take over the world. So when we got to the part of the line where we had to put all of our belongings in the bins, that's when I remembered I had that in my coat pocket. They ran it through the x-ray machine and when it came out on the other side, they started looking through the pockets of the coat and I showed them where it was. They said they couldn't hold it for me, but if I went out and asked one of the hot dog or nut vendors outside to hold if for me and hand them a few bucks to do so, then I could get it back. So I did that. The guy I gave it to said he was done at 4:30 so we would have to be back by then. Then I had to go and walk through the metal detector again. The first time I went through before I had to take my multi-purpose tool to the nut vendor guy, the metal detector didn't go off, but when I came back in, it did. OH, GREAT!! So I was asked to take my shoes off and they ran them through the x-ray machine, just in case I would use my shoes to take over the world. After that fiasco, I put my shoes back on and we boarded the ferry. When we got to Liberty Island we found that not only could we not get into the statue, we couldn't even get into the monument below the statue. So what was the point of even paying to ride the ferry? So we walked around the Jolly Green Giant...I mean, the Statue of Liberty and snapped some pictures...HERE...ENJOY!:




Here's a shot of the backside of the Statue of Liberty which is an angle you probably don't see too often.

Ok, I'm finished with my rant, but if you learn anything from me, remember to make reservations and get tickets (they're free, you just have to pay for the ferry ride) for the Statue of Liberty, and don't carry any multi-purpose tools with you. Here's one more shot of the Statue of Liberty from the ferry ride back to the city:



So, that was yesterday. We traveled on foot, by bus, subway, and ferry, but mostly by foot. Today we're looking at going to Central Park and check out the zoo and the MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art), and a few other things. Tonight we're planning on going to a comedy club, hope it's funny. I'll have another post up either tonight or tomorrow morning, it depends on how the city treats us tonight. Oh yea, and I did get my multi-purpose tool back from the nut vendor guy right at 4:30. I really didn't think I was going to get it back.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, you could have tried a little sociological experiement, given the knife to your mom and see if they pinned the middle aged white lady as a terrorist. Front page news man! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you should say that. My mom was carrying a small semi-automatic rifle and she got through just fine.

    ReplyDelete