Custom Search
Blogity-blah-blah-blog: Freakin' Funny Friday ~ I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Designed That Way

Friday, June 26, 2009

Freakin' Funny Friday ~ I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Designed That Way



Typos, poor photoshop skills, unfortunate ad placement, and just overall bad design are things that can get a graphic designer fired. Well, the designer doesn't really have any control over the placement of the ad, but when these things actually make it into print, it becomes enjoyable for the rest of us. You've seen blooper reels on DVDs I'm sure, well today we will be looking at the bloopers of the graphic design world. We'll start off with some bad designs.




One of the most notable bad designs out there right now is the logo for the 2012 Olympics. There's really not much to say about it, it's just horrible. *Blech* Okay, next!




Busy, busy, busy. There is just way too much going on with this. It looks like they randomly stuck a contact sheet on the bottom. I have no idea what's going on here. It hurts just to look at it.



Okay, let's see, I'll make a spiral and give it a dark blue outline and a gradient fill. Next I'll do the same thing with the type and turn it all at a 45º angle, voila! Bad, bad, bad!





First of all, readability is one of the most important things. Second, don't take an already existing well-known logo and use it for your own, just don't do it.




Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with the new Pepsi logo, but somebody decided to have fun with it. (No, it wasn't me)




That's pretty funny. Hey, doesn't it kind of look like Strong Sad from Homestarrunner?








Here's another variation.




Somebody has way too much time on his hands. (Again, not me.)



Oh, here's a doozy:



Spacing is very important, always remember that. I'm not sure where one word ends and the other one begins. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it says "Kids Exchange" and I hope I'm right.


Okay, we're going to move from those to some ads placed in some unfortunate places. Let's take a look:




Mmmmmmm...garbage receptacle.



Aww, how cute, the kitty wants to be like Jesus.



Now we'll take a look at some ads that have conflicting ideas that have been placed near each other.



Viacom has a sick sense of humor.



Is it just me, or does this coffee taste a little ironic to you?




I can't handle peer pressure!




Ewwwwwwwwww! It's funny, both ads have the same color background so it looks like they're part of the same ad.


Alright, now we'll move on to some poorly Photoshopped images. I sto...a-hem, borrowed some pictures from another blog called Photoshop Disasters.




I can see why she has to carry her bike.



Perspective, people, PERSPECTIVE!!!




Is that a hand or a baseball mit?




I've always wanted a house with a lawn that has that clone stamp look to it.




I hear it's really nice in ECINEV this time of year.




There's something very René Magritte-ish about this.




Dude, I think your left leg is leaving without you.




She's either very hungry or very tired.




AHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHH! WHAT IS THAT?! AHHHHHHHHHH! Was that the first thing that you thought when you saw this? Honestly, it looks like she could devour a small village.



Oh, boy...



...are you ready for this one?






Brains! Brains! Zombie Condoleezza hungry! It looks like she could have been in the Thriller video...oh, sorry, too soon, too soon.



It took me awhile to find enough pictures to put up on today's post. I kept finding the same pictures over and over again. I started to get a little frustrated and I mumbled to myself "It's all the same recycled cra..." and before I could finish saying the word "crap", I realized I was doing the same thing, recycling the same old pictures. So to finish up this post I'm going to show you some original pictures that me and some of my friends made of each other a few years ago. We displayed them on a myspace page called 5 Minute Gags. It was a fun way a group of friends could poke fun at each other by using Photoshop. Here they are.




I took the poster for the movie Trainspotting and put me and some of my friends on it and changed it to Photoshopping.




One day I posted a picture of Rick Sprinfield (who had the hit song "Jesse's Girl in the 80's) on my friend Jesse's myspace page and I said, "Better watch out for him, he's after your girl." After Jesse's girlfriend (now wife) saw that I posted the picture, she took it and merged Jesse's face with Rick Springfield's face.




Jesse and Natalie as Gumby and Gumby's little sister.




Yes that's me as the Quaker Oats guy.




I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? Well, I hope I do.




Chuck and Jesse go way back.




Natalie the butter churner.




Jesse, the ostrich jockey.




Perhaps she's not the fairest of them all.


Here are some loose definitions of some of the graphic design lingo I was throwing around for those of you who don't know what I was talking about.

Photoshop: A computer program used to touch-up and/or manipulate photographs that have been scanned or uploaded/downloaded digitally.

Contact sheet: Used by both photographers and designers. If you still get film developed, you'll usually get one of these when you pick up your pictures. It's one sheet of paper that has smaller versions of the photos you took.
Thanks for stopping by, see you next week!

Clone stamp: This is a tool used in Photoshop to sample part of a picture and then "clone" it in other areas of the picture to cover an area. If done carelessly it looks horrible.

René Magritte: (21 November 1898 – 15 August 1967) was a Belgian Surrealist artist. He became well known for a number of witty and thought-provoking images. His intended goal for his work was to challenge the observer's preconditioned perceptions of reality and force the viewer to become hypersensitive to their surroundings.

Hope you enjoyed this weeks posts. Come back next week when we'll wrap up the month of June and move on to July. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment